Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Fight with my sewing machine

So I was going to sew a pair of my son's shorts that needed mending. I dust off the sewing machine about 3 times a year. (At least once when my mom visits so she can help me with a project. Even if she forgets to take the pins out of the blankets she made the boys for Christmas... She's a wonderful seamstress and I've learned a lot from her :0) After I get all the straight pins in place on the repair I'm ready to go. My machine thinks otherwise. I explained to it that today was not a good day to mess with me so it better cooperate. It refused. The bobbin thing kept screwing up and eventually jammed up and broke my needle. The only needle I had. It got ugly. The kids hid outside and later asked if it was safe to come in. ;-)

Moral of the story... leave the sewing machine alone during PMS!

3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Blessed Beyond Measure said...

Frustrating! When I visit my middle daughter we generally sew something. I try to leave her with several bobbins that have been wound, and are ready, but adjustments can be touchy. Smart of you to know when youre the one needing adjusting too, just dont go there. Mom's probably impressed that you even try. I feel like we seamstresses are a bit like dinosaurs - archaic. If I were there, I'd fix it for you, truly.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Barb said...

And I'd help my sister help you. She and I are both good seamstresses although Bev's a little more creative than me. She actually makes drapes and bed coverings and things. This is not funny, I know, at least on your end of it. But oh my word, I hate it when your last needle breaks. What a pain. And my mother-in-law was absolutely the WORST about straight pins. Her habit was dropping them on the carpet and the only way they ever got found was usually when they were firmly embedded in one of my feet!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Blessed Beyond Measure said...

When I go visit my one daughter, I usually wind a few bobbins for her, white thread and black, so she can do some basic stuff til my next visit. Reading this, I miss my sewing machine. Its been sitting too long. Theres something about fall and sewing away. The sewing group is coming to my house this Thursday, I'll make a pot of chili, turn on some praise music, we'll spend the afternoon sewing away. Wish you could be here, I'd fix that machine for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home