Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Going to school... for the first time

My husband and I met when I was 16. Within 3 months of dating we knew we were going to marry. We became inseparable and enjoyed many of the same things. We married 4 years later vowing that we both didn’t want children. We lived in wedded bliss for 5 years. I came home from work one day and said “We need to talk” and he said “I know, I want them, too.” So along came 3 children in 3 years. I guess we had decided if we were going to do this let’s do it quickly.

I have enjoyed most stages of these boys growing up once they turned 1 year old. (I’m not much of a baby person) I am really enjoying the 8-11 year old stage best. I have been blessed with being a stay at home mom since my first child was born. Years into motherhood I couldn’t wait for that yellow bus to pull up and take my kids off to school. It’s funny how God changes your plans. Once my oldest finished kindergarten at a small Christian school we realized he needed a lot of help academically. It was at this point that I started homeschooling. I figured if he’d be in school all day and then have to struggle with homework all night then what was the sense? A few years later it was discovered that he has dyslexia, along with his youngest brother. I had taken the dyslexic tutor training course so I could work with them instead of paying a tutor. I feel I have gotten them to a point where they are comfortable with learning. Years ago I had visions of homeschooling all the way to graduation but now God has changed that plan, too. I am feeling it heavy on my heart that it’s time to send them to school. Seasons of change are upon us.

2 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger Barb said...

But you know what they say. Change can be good. You've given your boys such a good start. I do understand the emotions you're going through.

And look at you! Look at all that nice stuff in your sidebar. Didn't I just email you with some help less than 24 hours ago? You're a quick learner! Lots quicker than me.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Denise said...

To tell you the truth, I am looking forward to the change! It took me a little while to be excited about it and to talk about it without tears in my eyes, but I am there now.

I'm meeting with the school principal for a tour and to register them. Weird, but good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home