Wednesday, September 13, 2006

How I Met My Honey

Well, Barb, at A Chelsea Morning has asked us to post a story of how we met our soul mate. Whenever I'm given the opportunity to share about the love of my life I don't hesitate!

I was all of 16 years old and a junior in a high school of 1500 kids. I barely new everyone in my class but I did notice a new kid with a letterman jacket walking down the hall. He had a flat top hair cut so my first thought was, 'he must be in the Army' but then I realized, if he were, he wouldn't be walking down the hallway in a letterman jacket. ;-)

I was pretty athletic and always enjoyed playing drop in volleyball. My friends and I played regularily and one week my friend said her boyfriend would like to come. And he'd like to bring a friend. Who happened to be the boy I saw walking down the hall. I was all clumsy and couldn't concentrate on the game between glancing at this boy, who was a senior, who had pretty blue eyes, and the nicest smile, and played hockey. He seemed genuine right from the start. We said goodnight when the game was done and my heart raced all the way home.

I worked at McDonald's and he worked at a car wash. It was customary for the car wash to gather a breakfast order on Saturday mornings and send an employee to get the food. Well, that Saturday I happened to be working the morning shift and he was the lucky one they sent. (I later learned that he had asked if he could go, knowing I'd be there) He sat in a corner booth while I gathered his order and I felt his eyes on me the entire time. Which, of course, made me all clumsy again. He must have thought I was a real catch at this point. Especially in my brown, polyester McDonald's uniform!

He was there waiting for me by my car at the end of my shift. He asked me out and of course I said yes. We went to a movie and afterwards to his house for his little brother's birthday party. He had a big, loud family which was opposite of what I was used to. It was a good thing. We became inseperable and enjoyed many of the same things. After a few weeks of dating he even sold his bow-n-arrow to buy me a necklace. That's how crazy in love he was. After 3 months we both knew we were going to marry but waited until I graduated to become engaged. Our wedding day and honeymoon were perfect!

This was the start of a strong and loving relationship. I constantly thank God for bringing us together and for having the love of my life right by my side. It's nothing I take for granted. We have grown up together in so many ways. We've experienced the good, the bad and the ugly. The bond we share is strong and deep. Something I can always depend on, which in my book, is worth more than anything else in this world.

9 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

That is a wonderful "love story", and to think he sold his bow n'arrow, that was such a cute romantic story. :)

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Barb said...

This is the second romance I've read about that started with a volleyball game. It always seems so special to me when I hear of couples who met and fell in love when they were so young. I love it when I see "married to my high school sweetheart" in a profile. That had a lot to do with why I came up with this idea. I enjoyed reading this. Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. And yeah, he must have liked you a lot to get past that McD's uniform!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Morning Glory said...

Such a sweet story. I love how he asked to be the one to pick up the order because he knew you'd be there.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Kathleen Marie said...

That is just so sweet! You two just kind of zeroed in on each other and that was that. God is good!

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Shalee said...

What a sweet story, and especially that you have been able to enjoy it so early in life. How great that he asked to get the food since he knew you were working! Thanks for sharing, and I agree with Barb... He must have seen past the uniform.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Blessed Beyond Measure said...

"We've experienced the good, the bad and the ugly." Loved that. That sums up just about any marriage that's been around for awhile. Sweet story.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Magi said...

Very sweet story. When he's the right one, age doesn't seem to matter.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I'm stopping back by to thank you for your comment on my "get your blog act" together post. I knew I had to make some changes. I must have made the right decisions because I feel hugely relieved. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Goodness, Denise. Where are you? We miss you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home